FLYLADY, HERE I COME!

 



The FLYLADY method of cleaning the home got me interested a couple of weeks ago. I had been introduced to the notion by a friend years ago but never tried to find out more.

We are presently downsizing to move to a smaller home and I was trying to see how to do it so I wouldn't get too stressed out at the last moment. I think a video by the FLYLADY popped up when I was browsing for decluttering videos. 

Anyway, long story short, here I am now doing research on the method. Which I thought would be nice to share with my readers. That's you. 

WHAT IS THE FLYLADY METHOD? AND WHO IS THE FLYLADY?

A wife and mother, Marla Cilley, aka FLYLADY, has created this unique method of cleaning that has made her a diva in her own right. She has written two books on clutter and how to tackle house cleaning. 







Now let's get into the method itself.

The key to a clean home begins with keeping your sink shiny. Is your SINK SHINY? Why not? Marla discloses the secret to her starting out with the sink. Her husband told her that if she just kept one side of the sink empty at all times, he would bring her a cup of coffee every morning. Well, this feisty lady took up the challenge and her husband, faithful to his promise, brings her that cup every morning on the vlog. 

Marla says that, once she started shining her sink, it snowballed into her keeping the counter clean, then the kitchen and ultimately she created this amazing system of cleaning the whole house in bite-size bits that is not overwhelming at all. In fact, its so easy because every bit is not more than five minutes or fifteen minutes. YES, YOU READ RIGHT! 

So the first habit you need to master is to SHINE YOUR SINK.

My Shiny Sink!

The next habit she teaches is to DRESS UP TO LACED SHOES. I guess your first reaction would be just like me - Why laced shoes? I have walked barefoot in my house from my childhood. I wear my slippers grudgingly. But LACED SHOES? Never! So I probed into her website to find out how to modify this for myself. I discovered that she insists on it so vehemently that you just have to DO IT. It creates a professional approach to your day. I have started wearing day clothes now instead of a nightgown the whole day and IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE. She says that you need to pretend you are going out or going to work. That brings about an attitude change in how you go about every task in your routines. 

The next habit she teaches you is to work for five minutes on a HOTSPOT. A hotspot is any surface area that attracts clutter. Everyone dumps things on these surfaces that are not supposed to be there. In five minutes, you have to scan your chosen Hotspot and clear it of clutter, clean it well and put back neatly ONLY what needs to be there. I made a list of the hotspots in my home. I got 12. 

One of my hotspots 

 The next habit, also a 5-minute one, is called ROOM RESCUE. You set your timer for five minutes, then choose a room in your house to 'rescue'. In that time, put things away, straighten things and create a pristine condition so that you are WOWED! 

Room Rescue of bedroom 

 The next habit, as you see above, is MAKE YOUR BED. Once you establish your routine lists, this would be first thing in the morning unless there are 'little people still sleeping in it. I do mine in the afternoon now because I like to enjoy it for a long time before the boys are back. 

The next habit you learn, also just for five minutes, is called SWISH n SWIPE. This is for the bathroom where you quickly clean the toilet bowl, wipe the taps and showerhead. Don't forget to wipe the sink area too if that's in your washroom. If it's gonna take you more than five minutes then break it down into two days. PROGRESS,not PERFECTION is the mantra Marla insists we chant. 

SWISH n SWIPE of my toilet


 Once these five-minute habits are mastered, she teaches a fifteen-minute one called THE DECLUTTER. I do this in my afternoon routine. You need a bag or carton for this one. Choose the area to declutter, then check for broken, redundant, duplicate and never-used, never-will-use items. Dump them in the bag/carton then quickly decide which go into trash, which you can sell for cash and which ones can be donated.  Do what needs to be done quickly before you change your mind. If you are undecided, then create a spare box which you can keep for a while and if those items never get used then take the whole box to your donation centre. 

Another 15-minute habit to learn is called ZONE CLEANING. 

Divide your house into five zones. Each zone gets done in a week. Every day tackle one aspect of cleaning in that zone.
 
I have these as my five zones:
1) Porch and garden
2) Living room
3) Kitchen and pantry
4) Boys' bedroom and bathroom.
5) Master bedroom and bathroom. 

In all rooms the first thing to do is obviously to remove cobwebs and dust. Then you can focus on one furniture or fixture to tackle for some basic cleaning. Remember it's only for fifteen minutes each day so don't take out too much stuff to clean. Keep at it till the week is over. If its not finished, leave it and go on to the next zone. You'll get back to the zone after five weeks. PROGRESS, not PERFECTION. Say it, ladies. 

She also has a DAILY FOCUS and a DAILY MISSION. AND A HABIT OF THE MONTH. Right now just doing this much will work wonders for your house. Do give it a try and if you wanna learn more, fly over to 
FLYLADY.net. You can also download her app like  I did. It has checklists for routines and zone cleaning that you can customise.  

Her logo is, of course, the FLYLADY. Here it is. (Btw, she loves purple!)



And here is a picture of  Marla Cilley with her cup of hot coffee made by her 'sweetie' as she calls her darling husband.  

She got the name FLYLADY coz she was a flyfish fan and instructor. 













 

 
Marla Cilley's sweetie, husband Sam Cilley. Retired district court judge, he has been serving time and a cup of hot coffee to her since 1996.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRAPPED IN RUBBISH.

How to Upgrade Your Lifestyle Without Spending an Extra Penny

EMBRACE EMPTY SPACES