OWN LESS, ORGANISE LESS.

 


In 2022, we moved from a 92 sq m flat to a 70 sq m one. The reason for the move wasn't minimalist though. We just wanted, or rather I just needed, a place on the ground floor. My knees were showing signs of early osteoarthritis and climbing up stairs was getting to be a huge chore. I avoided going out as often as I would have liked to just because of the anticipated pain that I would be sure to experience when I returned home. So, with a heart full of expectations, I moved my family to this new, seemingly smaller 🏠. 

Now don't get me wrong. I like the new place because it gives me easy access to the outdoors. There is so much more convenience in just going up and down a couple of stairs vis-a-vis two flights of stairs. (Yes, we lived earlier on the second floor.) 

But, every situation has its pros and cons, doesn't it? Gardening is a joy but mud and sand getting into the house is not. Being visible at all times to everybody passing by makes keeping windows and the porch door wide open a bit awkward. On the other hand, this gives us opportunities to be of help to our neighbours when they need to use our home as a collection point for parcels, keys, etc. 

Now, when we moved, we did give away plenty of stuff that we really had no use of and didn't want to overcrowd the new house with. But, we also just couldn't discard the furniture we had in our old home  and make new ones as it would be too costly. So, the bulky boys came with us and have been with us since. I would personally prefer less but right now, cramped as it looks, we do use all of them. 

However, a smaller space tends to become a bother from time to time. As I have just one kitchen counter to prep, cook and clean on, I have to use the breakfast and dining table to keep utensils to dry as we have way too much used regularly. There are still too many 'replacement' items that need to be stored carefully as they are made of breakable materials. Sigh, why did I buy them??

Since I moved to this new place, I have been conscientiously avoiding online purchases. I pay my electricity bills and do the mobile recharges only on GPay. I shop online only for certain groceries that are at a straight discount like on JioMart and InstaMart. I haven't purchased a single item of clothing since we moved. So, in a certain sense, I have gotten a bit more minimalist. 

I gave away a whole lot of books (that I was clinging to for years) before we moved. But, I still brought my collection of Enid Blyton books with me hoping my youngest boy would enjoy reading them one day. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened yet! 

Every few months, I 'inspire' myself into decluttering and organising by watching a few of my favourite minimalist influencers like Courtney Carver and Joshua Becker. Then, I get down to the nitty gritty of upturning each nook and cupboard for any unwanted or unloved item. My one great Achilles heel has inadvertently been WHAT IF I NEED IT IN THE FUTURE? Some stuff that never gets used belong to the super-sentimental category - my grandmother's crocheted bedspread, for one.  This year, I have kept it in the discard/donate bin. Every time I see it though, I have tears in my eyes because she must have spent months creating it. 

I have crockery that I should be selling but again I encountered a roadblock when I tried. NO TAKERS! So, these cute pieces have also made their way to the aforementioned bin. 

The mantra LESS STUFF=LESS ORGANISING  is what I need to make my motto when I start to declutter. Less containers to store means less stuff to buy to store into them. That's precisely why the influencers tell you to first declutter and then organise. I look at the amount of glass containers I was 'influenced' into buying and cringe nowadays. Sales and discounts, rewards and credit card scores - these have created too much wild spending, not to forgot the bait of FREE SHIPPING that causes me to tipple the donkey cart 🛒. 

And remember, I'm not alone. I have three boys who are not minimalists. Things enter our home that I cannot prevent. I do try to be a kind of influencer to my boys but to no avail. And, months after those things come in, they become unused clutter, occupying prime space in the room they have been abandoned in. Try as I might, they never reach the insides of my designated bin. 

The reason I write this article is to warn people like you not to become people like me, buying stuff that influencers say are good for you and/or the environment. Think long term, at least, twenty years into the future (Glassware might not even last that long, 😀) If you need to buy, it should be only the quantity needed at present, not a bulk purchase for the next twenty years! One peeler, no spare. One blouse, not blouses in all available colours. Buy quality products that will last long, can be serviced easily and have PROPER WARRANTY. Don't get sucked into the Freebies rabbit hole or festival Friday blackhole. 

BUY ONLY WHEN YOU NEED AN ITEM, NOT BECAUSE YOUR INFLUENCER SAYS ITS GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT OR FOR YOU. 

For those who use credit cards, I understand your feverish frenzy to up your scores but use the tool wisely or you could get a deep cut that will destroy your life. A knife in the hands of a chef is not the same as in the hands of a murderer. 

We live in a world that wants to sell us unmentionable products at unbelievable prices. I am appalled at the advertisements I see on YouTube. I had given away cable and TV in the hope of ridding myself of the constant cacophony of ads only to have them smacking me in the face every time I want to watch a video on YouTube. Talk about seven demons returning to a person! We are being systematically brainwashed by social media into puppets. 

So, let's all adopt the mantra of Less Stuff=Less Organising. The time saved and the stress it lessens will be a reward in itself. Create negative spaces in your home. Remove as much as you can manage to without feeling a sense of regret. One piece of furniture, one extra knife, a discolored cutting board. Free some space and breathe a little easier. 

P.S. I am grateful to Courtney Carver who taught me the Project 333 method. I modified it by incorporating the CONTAINER method. So my wardrobe consists of only as much clothes as can fit one cabin luggage suitcase! This way I can always run away from home any time I want to without REGRET of leaving anything behind. 😂 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRAPPED IN RUBBISH.

How to Upgrade Your Lifestyle Without Spending an Extra Penny

LIFE FOR THE FAMILY IN THE GREAT DEPRESSION