EIGHT BENEFITS OF MINIMALISM

 When I first came across the idea of minimalism, it was only to pack my son's  belongings compactly in just one huge suitcase. A tall order, but Marie Kondo showed me her method and my eyes were opened to a whole new way of living. 


LIVING WITH LESS. 

As I kept reading and watching YouTube videos, I discovered another way to declutter. 

PROJECT 333

I am a laidback character. A bit OCD about cleaning but too laidback to spend hours actually clearing up messes. 

So, minimalism was exactly my CUP OF TEA.

Let's look at the right benefits of minimalism that attracted me.

1. LESS MESS.

No, I'm not rhyming. With heavy duty decluttering, there's less to clean up on a daily basis.  For example, if there are less spoons available, the same ones are used again and again and washed when needed. So, the kitchen sink has lot less utensils filling it up. A visual delight at the end of a long tiring day!

2. LESS CLEANING 

If you have less items to use, you have less items to clean when it's time to do deep cleansing. How many dishes do we really need to serve up a meal at the table? Just three actually. You figure out what goes into each one!

3. LESS STRESS 

Anyone who likes a laidback life doesn't want to fuss about picking things and wondering where to put them. Everything must have its place. PERMANENTLY.

4. MORE SPACE 

When you decide to become minimal, you automatically aim for less stuff with better quality and durability. So, there's gonna be always space to spare. Aim for three quarters full of any space, your kitchen cabinets for instance. If you fill them to full capacity there's no room even to move them around to rearrange. Similarly, reducing the number of clothes in your closet gives breathing space to your belongings. You won't struggle to put anything in or take anything out. It becomes a well oiled mechanism. 

5. MORE TIME 

Less cleaning, organizing and maintaining of things leaves me with more time to pursue my hobbies, learn new ideas. 

6. MORE FREEDOM 

I don't need to bother myself with the latest trend, to impress my friends and neighbours by buying the latest this or that. I can choose my own things based on personal criteria like, for example comfort over style. 

7. CLARITY OF MIND 

I cannot begin to tell you how clear my concepts have become and how it has impacted my shopping. Before, I would buy at least one new outfit every year at the time of sales. But now I don't go to sales, not even to jumble sales. I convince myself that I have enough and don't need more. 

8. EXTRA MONEY 

Naturally, money not spent is MONEY SAVED. I have even sold stuff to clear space in my home and the process continues. Mostly, I give away the unwanted things because getting a buyer is more time consuming. Once the item goes out of my home, I ensure another doesn't enter. Unless I need it. Whenever I buy, it will be only if I have searched my home first for alternative options or the secondhand store. Buying secondhand also saves you money, btw. 

ON A PERSONAL NOTE:

These days, we are preparing to move to a smaller home. So I am now checking my stuff again because all that we have will not fit in the new home. I am excited to see the outcome of my intense purge. I will post pictures on the process on this blog and also on my Facebook page From the Heart of Mapusa. 




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRAPPED IN RUBBISH.

How to Upgrade Your Lifestyle Without Spending an Extra Penny

EMBRACE EMPTY SPACES