RESET YOUR HOME

MINIMAL

         KONMARI.    

                  PROJECT 333

Five years ago, I discovered a method called Konmari to minimalise my belongings and soon after, I downsized ny wardrobe using Project 333.  

This year, I dearly hope to 

RESET MY HOME

Although I am satisfied with my capsule wardrobe, I still find myself holding onto the kitchen items that are in excess. The 'What If...' bug proves to be my Achilles heel. 

Next year, if things work out, we will be moving into a new home and we will need to downsize for that move. The home we selected to purchase is much smaller, so unwanted stuff will just have to go. No lofts to store them in and thankfully so. 

The Advent season is a good time to reassess and DECLUTTER. As we spiritually clear out the unwanted stuff from our hearts, minds and souls, we would also benefit from clearing out the unwanted stuff from the home. 

So, this year my focus will be entirely on my KITCHEN. 

A few days ago, my son Dan and I started cleaning the cabinets and we did manage to weed out a few things and kept them in a cardboard box on the kitchen loft. They were mostly replacement items though. 

Replacement carton

I need to hit that sweet spot where EVERY THING HAS ITS OWN SPECIAL PLACE and I don't have to keep searching for an item because it had to be kept elsewhere. 

I also need to strictly implement the ONE IN ONE OUT RULE. If I get in an item, another of similar size has got to go to make room for the new acquisition. 

During the festival season, we may get gifts that can be used in the kitchen. I will have to apply the rule of SUN:

Does it SPARK JOY?

Will it be USEFUL?

Is it really NEEDED?

I would also need to consider how to keep my STORAGE SPACE for SEASONAL ITEMS like those we need for parties or to prepare holiday goodies like Christmas sweets. At present, I have a clear plastic container for all my bakeware. I gave away a few pieces last year and decided to keep only those I would use and which fitted into that box. That way storage and usage becomes easier. 

Bakeware in storage

I keep forgetting this rule when I get enamoured by videos on storage ideas and have bought unnecessarily when all I needed to do was to SHOP MY HOME first. 

I will keep this post updated if I come across any NEW IDEAS and I will also update here on any PROGRESS with my own attempts to declutter the kitchen. 

Planning to get rid of this out-of-reach cabinet that is nearly 30 years old.  

I like open shelves because of cockroach infestation but these still get dirty and need regular cleaning. 

Hanging pans has been the best idea ever! Planning to add a couple more hooks. 

I think I hit the sweet spot with this area. Basic utensil section just below cooking area. Even the drain basket has a place!

Pullout drawers at bottom of cabinet house seasonal & replacement glassware. 

This drawer in the centre bottom was infested with cockroaches. We left only a few dust rags and clothes peg collection there for now. 

This drawer has my jam jar collection. I use them for pulses and bulk spice powders. When full, they are turned upside down so I can see the contents. 

Bottom drawer at right side of the cabinet. Plastic n extra glass containers here. My aim is to keep these three drawers three quarters full but I am not successful. 

Middle drawer in the trio I mentioned above. Steel n glass containers here. 

Top drawer is my handy drawer so all bowls, spoons, daily use stuff in here. I used plastic trays  to compartmentalize. 

My pride and joy. Ticked all three boxes of SUN. Open pantry. 

These were repurposed from cabinets originally attached here. Zoom in to see what I keep. 


This side cupboard is chiefly used for storing staples like salt, biscuits, etc. Its my mini pantry. As it has long recess, the back has a few rarely used items. 

And finally, another sweet spot area with some pizazz. The top shelf has totally unused decor that only sparks joy.
Too much glass but we need to keep as replacement because glass is fragile.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRAPPED IN RUBBISH.

How to Upgrade Your Lifestyle Without Spending an Extra Penny

EMBRACE EMPTY SPACES