KEEPING THINGS IN THE RIGHT PLACE


 In MINIMALISM, we have an adage:
A place for everything and everything in its place. 

Its not very hard to fix a place for the things you have if you only keep what you really NEED. 

Sometimes we have cabinet or cupboard space crammed with duplicates and triplicates that we hang onto 'JUST IN CASE...'. These extras should actually be either donated or given away but we hold onto them because we are not sure we might get one like that to replace the one we are currently using.

If you are like me and have this kind of problem, then I suggest you put these 'extras' in a box and place them on your kitchen loft. If its clothes, then put them in an unused suitcase. But remember to review them once every six months and get rid of items that don't fit or you no longer like or are useful to you. (Six Month Rule)

Sometimes we have cutlery and crockery collected from various sources - gifts, hand-me-downs, impulse purchases, etc. We don't use them and every time we declutter they make us feel guilty. We also have party stuff that we use maybe just a few times a year. So much space is used up for these items. Why not pack them in a box, label it and store it on your loft? Or give them to a friend to keep (if she has more parties than you) with the open invitation to borrow them whenever you get around to having yours.

I remember once holding onto a tea set that a friend gave me from her wedding collection when she was migrating. After many many years of occupying space in my home, I finally got rid of it. It was unused so I just packed it up nicely and gave it away as a wedding gift! The couple were thrilled because the set matched their wedding theme colors.
And we saved a good amount of money. 

So, clear out the 'extras', the 'once in a blue moon' items and you will find your LOST SPACE. Lots of space, in fact. I recently found place to keep my mixer grinder inside a cabinet by removing the pile of 'blue moon' crockery.


Keeping clear countertops is also a very important step in daily decluttering. As soon as you finish using, say, the toaster, let it cool down, then remove residual crumbs before putting it in its designated place in a cabinet. The less items you have on a countertop, the more likely you are to clean it. The benefits of cleaning more often is your mental health as it brings joy and physical health as this keeps away germs. (Btw, I only use vinegar and water to kill my germs. How about you?)

Buying too much stuff on sale was a weakness of mine in the past, I'll admit, and so you'll find several containers all around the place, waiting to be filled. I have found that stainless steel is the best investment in the kitchen. If you are not clumsy, glass is the next best bet. And you needn't buy these. Just ask around for those who are scared to use glass containers. You'll get plenty for free. Give them your unwanted plastic containers in exchange. They will gladly use those.

Designate a fixed space for your containers and give away the extra items unless you want to keep some as replacement items. Determine a reasonable amount to keep and pack it away on the loft. (Remember to use the six month rule). The rest can be given to friends who need them. Try not to pollute the environment by sending them to landfill. 

Recently, on a group, I had the opportunity to loan some of my extras to a family who had come for two months to Goa. When they return the items, I will give them away or put them in my donation box. Here's another tip - always keep a donation box ready to put unwanted stuff in. That way when a jumble sale comes to town, you can donate the items quickly. These days, because of the pandemic, there are only virtual sales happening. You can click pictures and post them on these groups and give away/sell the unwanted stuff you have.


In the morning, when I put away the dried up utensils, and I can put each one in its place I feel great. It sets the tone for the rest of my day. During the day, I dont have to search for spots to keep anything as each has a specific place. I have one drawer for glass containers, one for steel and one for plastic. If you get more items than what can fit the space you have designated for them, use the ONE IN ONE OUT policy. This is specially good for toys and clothes. 


I collect 700 gm Kissan jam bottles to store my pulses and dals. Right now, I have more than I need. So the extras are in a special drawer at the bottom of the kitchen unit.  If one breaks, I have a replacement at hand. I got rid of bottles with small necks as I find it easier to just put my hand into these 700 gm ones for cleaning. 


Which comes to the topic of packaging. But this article has gotten too long and I won't bore you too much right now. In another article, I will touch upon it and introduce you to my July challenge. 
SHALOM for now.

I used to have way too much utensils on these table shelves. By curating, I was able to make place for my dryer baskets on the lower shelf. What I place in front are the ones used daily and those I use sometimes are kept behind in another row.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRAPPED IN RUBBISH.

How to Upgrade Your Lifestyle Without Spending an Extra Penny

EMBRACE EMPTY SPACES